Located in the beautiful town of Tervuren, near the university city of Leuven, BSB is an independent, fee-paying international school with 1,350 students from approximately 70 countries. Students follow a British-based curriculum up to age 16. Post-16 they have a choice of three internationally recognised pre-university examination courses: English A Levels, International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma or BTEC. There is an Early Learning & Development Centre (Kindercrib) for children aged 1-3. BSB has outstanding facilities and an excellent record of academic achievement.
The Enrichment Department is currently looking for a qualified, part-time coach in Gymnastics - September 2019 to June 2020 (with possibility of extension to the following year).
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Expected to be thoroughly familiar with the rules and regulations pertaining to the sport coached
- Assist with the physical set up and take down of equipment for both practices and competition, ensuring that the facility is left in such a condition that is ready for the next scheduled activity
- Take a proactive approach with team members regarding their academic progress and any other matters that might affect their athletic performance and general well-being
- Be punctual for all practices and dressed in an appropriate manner: sports clothing for practices and competitions
- Be available for all home and away competitions
- To act in accordance with school policy and procedures in relation to child protection and safe guarding, fair play and equal opportunities to all participants
- Registers to be taken for each session and submitted to the Enrichment office
- Keep attendance records accurate and up to date
- Be well briefed and aware about any special needs of the participants involved, i.e., levels of fitness, significant medical conditions, physical impairments or disabilities
- Be aware of and follow the procedures for recording accidents
- Be aware of the school’s Health & Safety policy and Emergency Procedures and take own responsibility for Health & Safety
- Act as a role model, demonstrate the highest standards of sportsmanship and develop attitudes in team members which foster respect for opponents, respect for officials and mutual respect for each other
- Ensure that there is an accessible, well-stocked first aid kit at the venue and a telephone nearby
- Attend any coaches meetings called by the Head of Enrichment
- Make participants aware of their progress
- Attend the Sports Awards Evenings in which Gymnastics teams are involved
- Liaise with the Head of Enrichment to ensure there are regular, appropriate, competitive opportunities for participants
- Plan and deliver coaching sessions appropriate to the ability of participants
- Liaise with parents on aspects of individual and team development
- Assist meeting and greeting the visiting coaches and teams, and assist them upon arrival in locating changing rooms, distribute the housing assignments and game schedules
- Understand that this is an educational setting, and not a club setting
- Take direct responsibility for the conduct of one’s own team and have a shared responsibility with coaching colleagues for the members of other BSB teams throughout the season
- Assure that the athletes have team kits for competition
- Monitor the distribution and collection of team uniforms
Qualifications / experience
- Qualifications and coaching experience preferred but previous experience as an athlete and good knowledge of the sport is essential
- Provide an up to date First Aid Certificate or be willing to attend an approved course provided by the school
- Committed to achieving the best at all times for BSB students
- Belief that in learning and in life more is achieved together than alone
- Open mindedness and welcoming of otherness
- Committed to the safety and wellbeing of BSB students
- Can do and positive attitude
We are particularly looking for a Gymnastics coach who is flexible, reliable, possess good communication skills in English and enjoys working with children.
We have opportunities to work with both younger and older students in the school.
Any interested candidates must currently reside in Belgium and be eligible to work in Europe.
In return, we offer:
- A part-time (12-15 hours per week), temporary contract
- Interesting position in an international environment
- An attractive salary (BSB Operational scale – Band 2 (Assistant Coach) or Band 3 (Coach) representing a minimum of € 2.147(Band 2) / € 2.624 (Band 3) and maximum € 3.356 (Band 2) / € 4.101 (Band 3) gross per month for a full-time post, pro-rated for part-time posts, depending on the years of relevant experience) and extra-legal benefits including holiday provision and luncheon vouchers
- Sessions take place after regular school hours (16.00-19.00) and weekends (mainly Saturdays). Additionally, some sports fixtures take place in other European countries so a willingness to travel is required.
The deadline for applications is 29 May 2019 at 16:00 (CET)
Please note that only applications sent in using the application form on the BSB website will be considered. No other submissions will be accepted.
Interviews will be held at the school the beginning of June.
We look forward to receiving your application. If you have not heard anything further from us by mid June, please assume you have been unsuccessful on this occasion.
“The British School of Brussels is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.” (with reference to the most recent KCSIE