Located in the beautiful town of Tervuren, near the university city of Leuven, BSB is a not for profit, inclusive fee-paying international school with 1,350 students from approximately 70 countries. There is an Early Childhood Centre for children aged 1-3. Our Primary School offers a bespoke curriculum with integrated learning themes that are inquiry based and skills driven. Whilst British-based, it is uniquely adapted to the needs of our international and multicultural student body. Students in Year 10 & 11 study for (I)GCSE and BTEC courses. Post-16 students can choose from three internationally recognised pre-university examination courses: English A Levels, International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma or BTEC. BSB has outstanding facilities and is the only international school in Belgium to have its own 25m indoor swimming pool. With an excellent record of academic achievement, BSB students go on to attend a wide range of top universities across the globe.
Purpose of the role:
To implement the school’s vision for campus development.
To ensure that the school functions effectively on a day-to-day basis, and to provide a safe, efficient and comfortable learning and working environment for its students and staff.
The Facilities Manager will be responsible for the management of services and processes that support the school. He/she will manage all buildings, equipment and materials to ensure their effective use and the safety of staff and visitors.
Responsible to: The Finance & Operations Director.
Line managing: The Facilities Officer and the Campus Operations Officer.
Areas of responsibility:
Leadership & Project Management
- Provide effective team leadership within the BSB guiding statements.
- Is involved in both strategic planning and day-to-day operations, particularly in relation to buildings and premises.
- Plans for future development in line with strategic objectives.
- Uses performance management techniques to monitor and demonstrate achievement of agreed service levels and to lead on improvement.
- Coordinates various campus renovations and new building projects, and ensures updated plans.
- Formulates, implements, monitors and reviews an annual work programme and business plan for campus facilities in liaison with the Finance and Operations Director and the Leadership Team.
- Is responsible for campus services and related outsourced services.
- Develops new and reviews existing policies and procedures relating to the use of the campus and its facilities.
- Manages and organises the campus in an efficient manner to ensure minimum disruption to the teaching and sport activities.
- Plans best allocation and usage of space and resources for new buildings, or re-organises current premises.
- Ensures implementation of all campus related policies and makes recommendations in the absence of policies.
- Assembles and maintains data and prepares reports.
- Ensures the campus and buildings meet the legal requirements and that the mandatory legal documentation is produced.
- Uses best business practice to improve efficiency and reducing operating costs.
- Acquire enough insight and practical knowledge in order to ensure continuity of the campus operations and campus maintenance.
- Is responsible for maintaining the campus in a good state including all buildings and facilities, roads and pathways, grounds and gardens.
- Has an accurate oversight of maintenance of buildings, equipment, vehicles, machinery and grounds.
- Ensures efficient coordination and follow-up of the campus operations.
- Undertakes routine inspections of the campus.
- Undertakes and documents a regular risk assessment of the whole campus in liaison with H&S.
- Manages recycling procedures and ensures relevant staff are aware.
- Ensures the campus and buildings meet health & safety
- Monitors traffic on site including adherence to school rules. Along with the Health and Safety Officer regularly assesses and reviews the traffic & parking policy to ensure optimal safety.
- Is responsible for the financial forecasting/budgeting of costs related to the campus and its facilities.
- Is responsible for safety and security on campus.
- Ensures effective action and recording of direct and delegated responsibilities for security and ensures policies are up to date and correct processes are implemented.
The post holder may be required to perform duties other than those given in the job description for the post. The particular duties and responsibilities may vary from time to time without changing the general character of the duties or the level of responsibility entailed.
Some duties may include more practical and hands-on tasks and the post may include some evening and weekend work.
- Master degree in Engineering or Facility or Logistics Management or equivalent qualification.
- Minimum 6 years in campus and/or facility or logistics management or expertise in relevant management.
- Successful team leadership and people management.
- Ability to plan, direct, and evaluate a complex operation, using manpower, time, financial and other resources for the accomplishment of long-term and short-term goals of the school.
- Ability to organise work effectively, conceptualise and prioritise objectives and exercise independent judgment based on an understanding of organisational policies and activities.
- Excellent interpersonal/communication skills with the ability to communicate at all levels in Dutch and English (French would be an asset).
- Commitment to teamwork, ability to develop a team culture and have a “can do” approach to problems and issues.
- Technical knowledge of building services.
- Excellent problem solving, analytical, IT and managerial skills.
- Commitment to the BSB Guiding Statements
- Committed to achieving the best at all times for BSB students
- Belief that in learning and in life more is achieved together than alone
- Open mindedness and welcoming of otherness
- Committed to the safety and wellbeing of BSB students.
Conditions of service
- A permanent, full-time position (37,5 hours per week).
- An interesting position in an international environment and in a well-equipped, beautiful campus
- An attractive salary (BSB Operational Staff scale – Band 6 representing a minimum of € 66.413 and a maximum of € 103.817 gross per year, depending on the years of relevant experience) and extra-legal benefits including 22 additional holidays, luncheon vouchers, a representation allowance, group and hospitalisation insurance, free use of the BSB sport facilities.
The deadline for applications is Wednesday 26 February 2020 at 16:00 (CET).
Please note that only applications sent in using the application form on the BSB website will be considered. No other submissions will be accepted.
Interviews will be held at the school the beginning of March
We look forward to receiving your application. If you have not heard anything further from us by mid-March, please assume you have been unsuccessful on this occasion.
“The British School of Brussels is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.” (with reference to the most recent KCSIE)