Enrichment Coach Tennis
Part-time / Seasonal
Located in the beautiful town of Tervuren, near the university city of Leuven, BSB is an independent, fee-paying international school with 1,350 students from approximately 70 countries. Students follow a British-based curriculum up to age 16. Post-16 they have a choice of three internationally recognised pre-university examination courses: English A Levels, International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma or BTEC. There is an Early Childhood Centre for children aged 1-3. BSB has outstanding facilities and is the only international school in Belgium to have its own 25m indoor swimming pool. With an excellent record of academic achievement, BSB students go on to attend a wide range of top universities across the globe.
The Enrichment Department (responsible for organising extra-curricular activities) is currently looking for a qualified, part-time Tennis coach.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- To act in accordance with school policy and procedures in relation to child protection and safe guarding, fair play and equal opportunities to all participants
- Keep attendance records accurate and up to date using the appropriate technological tools
- Be well briefed and aware about any special needs of the participants involved, i.e., levels of fitness, significant medical conditions, physical impairments or disabilities
- Be aware of and follow the procedures for recording accidents
- Be aware of the school’s Health & Safety policy and Emergency Procedures and take own responsibility for Health & Safety
- Act as a role model, demonstrate the highest standards of sportsmanship and develop attitudes in team members which foster respect for opponents, respect for officials and mutual respect for each other
- Ensure that there is an accessible, well-stocked first aid kit at the venue and a telephone nearby
- Expected to be thoroughly familiar with the rules and regulations pertaining to the sport coached
- Responsible for providing the Head of Enrichment with an accurate roster at the start of the season and update it accordingly
- Take responsibility for ensuring that the equipment is correct and is kept in good working order
- Inventory all equipment at the beginning and end of the season
- Assist with the physical set up and take down of equipment for both practices and competition, ensuring that the facility is left in such a condition that is ready for the next scheduled activity
- Take a proactive approach with team members regarding their academic progress and any other matters that might affect their athletic performance and general well-being
- Be punctual for all practices and dressed in an appropriate manner: sports clothing for practices and games
- Be available for all home and away games
- Attend any coaches’ meetings called by the Head of Enrichment
- Make participants aware of their progress
- Attend the end of season tournament and Sports Awards Evening
- Liaise with the Head of Enrichment to ensure there are regular, appropriate, competitive opportunities for participants
- Plan and deliver coaching sessions appropriate to the ability of participants
- Liaise with parents on aspects of individual player and team development
- Assist meeting and greeting the visiting coaches and teams, and assist them upon arrival in locating changing rooms, distribute the housing assignments and game schedules
- Understand that this is an educational setting, and not a club setting
- Take direct responsibility for the conduct of one’s own team and have a shared responsibility with coaching colleagues for the members of other BSB teams throughout the season
- Assure that the athletes have team kits to play in during competition
- Monitor the distribution and collection of team kit
Qualifications / experience:
- Qualifications and coaching experience preferred but previous playing experience and good knowledge of the sport is essential
- Provide an up to date First Aid Certificate or be willing to attend an approved course provided by the school
- Committed to achieving the best at all times for BSB students
- Belief that in learning and in life more is achieved together than alone
- Open mindedness and welcoming of otherness
- Committed to the safety and wellbeing of BSB students
We are particularly looking for coaches who are flexible, reliable, possess good organisational skills, possess good communication skills in English and enjoy working with children with different skill levels.
We have opportunities to work with both younger and older students in the school.
Any interested candidates must currently reside in Belgium and be eligible to work in Europe.
In return, we offer:
- A part-time contract, seasonal contract
- Interesting position in an international environment
- An attractive salary (BSB Operational scale – Band 2 (Assistant Coach) or Band 3 (Team Coach) representing a minimum of € 30.483 (Band 2) / € 37.257 (Band 3) and maximum € 47.643 (Band 2) / € 58.231 (Band 3) gross per year (pro rata), depending on the years of relevant experience) and extra-legal benefits including a generous holiday provision, luncheon vouchers and free use of the BSB facilities
- This appointment is subject to CRB clearance and 3 references
- All positions take place after regular school hours and weekends. Additionally, some sports fixtures take place in other European countries so a willingness to travel is required.
The deadline for applications is 31 August 2020 at 16.00 (CET).
Please note that only applications sent in using the application form on the BSB website will be considered. No other submissions will be accepted.
“The British School of Brussels is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.” (with reference to the most recent KCSIE)