Please make sure to use an up to date, modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge or you may encounter technical issues with the below form.
Head of Post-16 (including IB Coordination)
Starting September 2023
BSB is a not for profit, inclusive independent international school comprising 1,350 students from approximately 70 countries. Located in the parkland of Tervuren, we enjoy world class facilities set within an inspiring green campus, yet near all the amenities of the university city of Leuven and the capital city of Brussels. But what makes our school an exceptional place to learn and grow, and what really sets us apart, are the relationships we build, the culture of kinship we foster and the pursuit of quality in everything that we do.
We are committed to providing a vibrant and engaging holistic education for our students in a harmonious atmosphere. With everyone learning and working together to inspire success, we have created a thriving community with the notion of ‘one school’ at its heart. By balancing academic endeavour with pastoral care, and classroom-based learning with enrichment opportunities, we provide our students with the best opportunities possible to broaden their aspirations and horizons.
Our curriculum is British based and uniquely adapted to the needs of our international and diverse student body. There is an Early Childhood Centre for children aged 1-3. Our Primary School offers a bespoke enquiry-based curriculum. Students in Year 10 & 11 study for (I)GCSE and BTEC courses. Post-16 students can choose from three internationally recognised pre-university examination courses: English A Levels, International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma or BTEC. Our Enrichment programme is exceptional, offering over 100 activities per week.
As one of the top performing schools in the world, BSB students go on to attend a wide range of top universities across the globe. We believe that our exceptional student outcomes and top world rankings are really a happy by-product of our unique culture built on care, curiosity and collaboration.
We are seeking applications from suitably qualified and experienced teachers who can bring a real enthusiasm to the school. Applicants must have the qualities to successfully lead Year 12 and 13 in the school including the IB Diploma Programme and ensure consistency of provision and support for students in the senior section of the school. This is a significant leadership role and therefore a track record of successful leadership is expected of applicants, particularly in the senior years and/or IB Coordination.
This role is a significant leadership position in the school and as such is a member of the Extended Secondary Leadership Team (ESLT) and has a teaching allocation of 6 ppw. The role leads on both pedagogical and pastoral aspects of Year 12 and 13 including the line management of Heads of Year 12 and 13 as well as line management of the ToK, EE, CAS and EPQ Coordinators. As the IB coordinator you will lead all academic areas of the programme including pedagogical approaches in Post-16 and meeting all requirements of the IB review every 5 years. To help set students up for success this role works closely with the Head of Year 11 and the Deputy Head Curriculum to help students in course selection and course changes where needed in Years 12 and 13. This is an important role in the Secondary school to ensure smooth transition for students and consistency of experience to ensure the best learning for students. As part of SLT the post leads on duties throughout the Secondary school.
The successful candidate will ideally have previous experience teaching in the British system – either in the UK or internationally – across the Secondary School age range with experience teaching Years 7 – 13 (ages 11-18).
The successful candidate should:
- value strong relationships with students, colleagues and parents to create a climate for the highest standards of learning
- Be knowledgeable about and skilled in learning and teaching, getting the very best from students from all backgrounds and of all abilities;
- be appreciative of students’ differing cultural and linguistic backgrounds and thrive in a diverse community;
- Have leadership acumen and be committed to working collaboratively within high performing teams
- work closely with colleagues in creating a sense of cohesion and collaborative spirit within the Year Teams and co-operate with colleagues across Faculties and throughout the School;
- be actively involved in professional learning within the team, and across departments where opportunities arise, including after-school meetings, relevant courses and professional learning days;
- be willing and able to contribute actively and wholeheartedly to the social and personal development of students and to the extra-curricular life of the school including trips and Enrichment;
- Be a colleague who will be excited by the opportunity to develop this new role and be happy to take on significant responsibility within an environment and ethos of openness and distributed leadership.
- set the highest standards in terms of learning and teaching, getting the very best from students from all backgrounds and of all abilities;
- be attuned to current developments in the exam programmes, particularly with the IBDP;
- Commitment to the BSB Guiding Statements
- Committed to achieving the best for BSB students
- Belief that in learning and in life more is achieved together than alone
- Committed to the safety and wellbeing of BSB students.
In return, we offer:
- A full-time, permanent contract
- Enthusiastic, happy and confident children who are proud of their school and love learning
- Outstanding facilities and resources
- Excellent professional learning opportunities
- An attractive salary – BSB Learning & Teaching scale – Band 9 representing a minimum of € 74.039 and a maximum of € 134.382 gross per year, depending on the years of relevant experience, and extra-legal benefits including hospitalisation insurance, extra pension payments, luncheon vouchers, free use of the BSB sport facilities and a relocation package.
The deadline for applications is Thursday 16 February 2023 at 11.00 (CET).
Please note that only applications sent in using the application form on the BSB website will be considered. No other submissions will be accepted.
Long list interviews will be conducted by Skype with final interviews held at the school in early March where possible and this process will include opportunities to meet potential colleagues and students.
We look forward to receiving your application. If you have not heard anything further from us by the end of March, please assume you have been unsuccessful on this occasion.
Purpose of the role
- To take a joint lead on the options choices and transition between Years 11 and 12 with the Deputy Head Curriculum
- To ensure good understanding by parents of their child’s development and progress and to help them understand the Year 11-13 student academic journey
- To promote learning around the BSB Guiding Statements and Values into the Year 12-13 curriculum
- To promote and develop opportunities for character and wider skill development within enrichment activities
- To ensure internal assessment requirements of A Level, IB and BTEC are met
- To lead and support Heads of Years 12-13 in ensuring consistency of approach to supporting students in their learning and behaviour
- To lead the development of coherence and continuity of experience for Post-16 students
- To complete the role and functions of the IB Diploma coordinator as required by the IB
Head of Secondary
The Head of Post-16 is responsible for key aspects of the student learning journey through Years 11-13. As part of the Year 12-13 academic and pastoral coordination this role is responsible for all aspects of IB Diploma coordination. Line management of the ToK, EE, CAS and EPQ Coordinators as well as the Heads of Year 12 and 13.
- Ensure that the ethos and values of the school are sustained and that excellent relationships between staff, students and parents are a continuing priority
- Provide leadership of staff, valuing them amidst a culture of dedicated engagement, openness, and a sense of involvement as part of an academic community
- Work in a collaborative way that prioritises distributed leadership
- Be kind and compassionate
- Promote excellence and innovation in your development areas
- Set and uphold the highest professional standards amongst staff and students, acting as a role model to all
- Ensure consistency of standards and experience across Years 12-13 to promote the school values based upon mutual respect and the BSB learner profile
- Provide strong, dynamic and visible leadership of the IB Diploma Programme
- Responsible for coordinating academic transitions between Years 11-12
- IB Diploma Coordination
“The British School of Brussels is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.” (with reference to the most recent KCSIE)
BSB is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We respect and seek to empower each individual and support the diverse cultures, perspectives, skills and experiences within our community.
Enter your contact details below. Categories followed by * are mandatory in order to apply.
Attach any additional documents. Please ensure that your total document file size is under 10MB to ensure that your application is successfully received. Click the ‘Submit application’ button.
Please make sure to use an up to date, modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge or you may encounter technical issues with the above form.