Please make sure to use an up to date, modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge or you may encounter technical issues with the below form.
PE Teacher Trainee and Sports Coach
starting August 2023
BSB is a not for profit, inclusive independent international school comprising 1,350 students from approximately 70 countries. Located in the parkland of Tervuren, we enjoy world class facilities set within an inspiring green campus, yet near all the amenities of the university city of Leuven and the capital city of Brussels. But what makes our school an exceptional place to learn and grow, and what really sets us apart, are the relationships we build, the culture of kinship we foster and the pursuit of quality in everything that we do.
We are committed to providing a vibrant and engaging holistic education for our students in a harmonious atmosphere. With everyone learning and working together to inspire success, we have created a thriving community with the notion of ‘one school’ at its heart. By balancing academic endeavour with pastoral care, and classroom-based learning with enrichment opportunities, we provide our students with the best opportunities possible to broaden their aspirations and horizons.
Our curriculum is British based and uniquely adapted to the needs of our international and diverse student body. There is an Early Childhood Centre for children aged 1-3. Our Primary School offers a bespoke enquiry-based curriculum. Students in Year 10 & 11 study for (I)GCSE and BTEC courses. Post-16 students can choose from three internationally recognised pre-university examination courses: English A Levels, International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma or BTEC. Our Enrichment programme is exceptional, offering over 100 activities per week.
As one of the top performing schools in the world, BSB students go on to attend a wide range of top universities across the globe. We believe that our exceptional student outcomes and top world rankings are really a happy by-product of our unique culture built on care, curiosity and collaboration.
We are seeking to employ an enthusiastic, hard-working and passionate graduate who wants to pursue a career in PE teaching. Qualifying over a two-year period whilst employed by the school, this really is a unique opportunity for an inspirational and ambitious young person making their way in the world of teaching.
We expect this to be an exceptionally competitive appointment as BSB is one of the only International Schools in Europe who offer such a pathway and do so hand in hand with TES.
What BSB can offer you as a Trainee Teacher:
- Quality professional development, including access to a dedicated TES Institute Pathway Tutor, and subject specific mentor within the school
- followed by 1 term of the ‘Assessment Only’ course – culminating in QTS.
- The opportunity to teach in some of Europe’s very best sporting facilities after the recent 25 million euro investment of the Jacques Rogge build. This includes a 500 seater sports hall, 25 metre swimming pool, purpose built gymnastic auditorium, a fitness suite and dance studio.
- Regular networking opportunities within the school
- A place on the above Ofsted inspected TES programme
- 12 hours of Sport Coaching in the Enrichment programme
- 12 hours of ITT during curriculum
The applicant will need:
The minimum requirements for potential programme participants are:
- hold an undergraduate degree in a sport related subject
- hold GCSEs or equivalent qualifications in Maths and English equivalent to grade C/4 or above
- have passed and taken the professional skills test in literacy and numeracy before registering for QTS assessment. This can be completed once you have started the Straight to Teaching programme if necessary.
- show the qualities and skills of someone who can become a fully qualified teacher
- be eligible to work in Belgium
We take the development of all our staff seriously, whatever period they have been teaching for. As a trainee teacher, you will benefit from an experienced TES Institute mentor and department mentor; a reduced teaching timetable in the first year; your own allocated space in the PE office and a bespoke training programme that meets your needs as an individual. Alongside this, with a desired commitment required to the Enrichment programme, there will be opportunities to coach teams and travel throughout Europe for fixtures and tournaments.
As a school, our global reputation continues to grow. As a faculty, we have established ourselves as a beacon for sport throughout European International Schools with our highly successful and competitive Enrichment programme and ever-evolving core PE programme.
- Commitment to the BSB Guiding Statements
- Committed to achieving the best at all times for BSB students
- Belief that in learning and in life more is achieved together than alone
- Committed to the safety and wellbeing of BSB students.
In return, we offer:
- To cover the fee of both courses
- A two-year full-time contract
- Enthusiastic, happy and confident children who are proud of their school and love learning
- Outstanding facilities and resources
- Excellent professional learning opportunities
- An attractive salary of € 2.250 gross per month
- extra-legal benefits including hospitalisation insurance, extra pension payments, luncheon vouchers and free use of the BSB sport facilities
The deadline for applications is Wednesday 15 February 2023 at 16:00 (CET). Please note that only applications sent in using the application form on the BSB website will be considered. No other submissions will be accepted.
Short listed candidates will be invited to interview at the school by the end of February.
We look forward to receiving your application. If you have not heard anything further from us by the end of February, please assume you have been unsuccessful on this occasion.
“The British School of Brussels is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.” (with reference to the most recent KCSIE)
BSB is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We respect and seek to empower each individual and support the diverse cultures, perspectives, skills and experiences within our community.
Enter your contact details below. Categories followed by * are mandatory in order to apply.
Attach any additional documents. Please ensure that your total document file size is under 10MB to ensure that your application is successfully received. Click the ‘Submit application’ button.
Please make sure to use an up to date, modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge or you may encounter technical issues with the above form.