News 19 August 2016
After the publication today of the A Level results, BSB is delighted once again with the overall student achievement from this summer’s examination results:
• 100% pass rate for those students taking the IB Diploma
• 99% pass rate for those students taking A Levels
• 100% pass rate for those students taking BTEC
The IB statistics continue to be impressive year after year at BSB. That every student passes, in a non-selective school, is tremendous, as it is to be so far above the worldwide average in almost all key indicators. The programme is led by a committed and well-qualified team of teachers and is well organised throughout the two years to help students to maximise their potential.
• Almost 42% of candidates achieved 36 points or higher.
• Over 80% of students achieved a Diploma score of 30 or more.
• 28% of IB students took a bilingual Diploma and 100% achieved it.
The A Level results have been outstanding once again. In all key indicators BSB results out-performed the UK national averages with some excellent individual performances by students with straight A and A* grades.
• 35% of grades at A* - A (national UK average: 25.9%)
• 86% of grades at A* – C
• 99% of grades passing at A* - E
Students who followed BTEC courses did extremely well, including:
• In the Business Diploma, 83% achieved Double-star Distinctions – equivalent to two A Levels at A*
• In the Business Subsidiary Diploma, 100% achieved starred Distinctions – equivalent to two A Levels at A*A
• In Hospitality Subsidiary, 100% achieved starred Distinctions – equivalent to two A Levels at A*A
Sue Woodroofe, BSB’s Principal said,
‘Another wonderful set of results – I could not be more proud of the students and staff on this fantastic achievement across all three pre-university qualification routes. BSB consistently performs amongst the highest schools in the world at these demanding qualifications and the range of courses offered at BSB, along with the experience and passion of the teachers, enables all students to choose subjects that enable them to find success.’
Gary Minnitt, Head of Secondary School, added,
‘Achieving such pass rates once again is a magnificent achievement for students and staff alike given the world pass averages. BSB students are in the process of securing excellent places at universities around the world as a result of their hard work and dedication. Big congratulations to all concerned!’
About The British School of Brussels
The British School of Brussels (BSB), founded in 1969 in Brussels and established in 1970 in Tervuren, is an all-through international school for children aged one to 18 years. There are over 1,350 students on roll, representing approximately 70 nationalities. The school offers a British Curriculum up to age 16 years, (I)GCSE followed by the choice of GCE A Levels, the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma and BTEC Post-16. Extensive provision for learning support and English as an Additional Language (EAL) is available, as well as a wide range of extra-curricular activities. There is also a French-English bilingual programme for ages 4-14 years. School accreditations include the IB World School, COBIS (Council of British International Schools), IAPS (Independent Association of Prep Schools) and the Principal is a member of the Headmasters' and Headmistresses' Conference (HMC). BSB has received an outstanding report from the Council of International Schools (CIS).