Please make sure to use an up to date, modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge or you may encounter technical issues with the below form.
Tier 1 Sport-Manager (Head Coach) – Swimming
Sorry, this job listing has now expired.
Starting the end of August 2023
BSB is a not for profit, inclusive independent international school comprising 1,350 students from approximately 70 countries. Located in the parkland of Tervuren, we enjoy world class facilities set within an inspiring green campus, yet near all the amenities of the university city of Leuven and the capital city of Brussels. But what makes our school an exceptional place to learn and grow, and what really sets us apart, are the relationships we build, the culture of kinship we foster and the pursuit of quality in everything that we do.
We are committed to providing a vibrant and engaging holistic education for our students in a harmonious atmosphere. With everyone learning and working together to inspire success, we have created a thriving community with the notion of ‘one school’ at its heart. By balancing academic endeavour with pastoral care, and classroom-based learning with enrichment opportunities, we provide our students with the best opportunities possible to broaden their aspirations and horizons.
Our curriculum is British based and uniquely adapted to the needs of our international and diverse student body. There is an Early Childhood Centre for children aged 1-3. Our Primary School offers a bespoke enquiry-based curriculum. Students in Year 10 & 11 study for (I)GCSE and BTEC courses. Post-16 students can choose from three internationally recognised pre-university examination courses: English A Levels, International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma or BTEC. Our Enrichment programme is exceptional, offering over 100 activities per week.
As one of the top performing schools in the world, BSB students go on to attend a wide range of top universities across the globe. We believe that our exceptional student outcomes and top world rankings are really a happy by-product of our unique culture built on care, curiosity, and collaboration.
Major Role: To provide professional leadership and management of one of the Tier one sports to secure high quality learning and teaching, the effective use of resources and improving standards of learning and achievement.
Direct Reports: Enrichment coaches
Coaching – Sport-Managers will:
- coach all year round within the enrichment programme.
- weekend coaching is required as well as a commitment to attend all competitions at home and abroad.
- provide appropriate opportunities for students of a wide variety of abilities to extend themselves to their fullest through the appropriate pathway.
- coach a team within your sport specific programme.
- organise try-outs and assessments in an efficient and transparent manner.
- in collaboration with the Enrichment coaches, to select teams, send lists of athletes to the Department Leader of Enrichment Sport and Exhibitions and keep them informed of any changes that occur throughout the year.
- work efficiently with others to ensure competition entries and other information is completed on time and with the agreement of the school.
- keep abreast of all current best practice regarding training methods, skill, tactical developments etc. and changes to rules and regulations.
- ensure a robust talent ID programme is in place with close link to local clubs
- co-ordinate release time with the leadership team for those who are competing at an ‘elite’ level
- support in university scholarship applications to the US or UK
Teaching – Sport-Managers will:
- teach a number of hours in curriculum – dependent programme size and commitment levels.
- be able to teach academic PE lessons.
- write reports, complete assessments, and attend report evenings when required.
- plan and implement engaging and enjoyable lessons.
- Be able to teach across both primary and secondary school.
Professional – Sport-Managers will:
- lead their sport specific Enrichment coaching team.
- recommend developments for the staffing of their specific programme.
- deliver training for coaches and volunteers.
Culture and Communication – Sport-Managers will:
- work in close partnership with the Department Leader of Enrichment Sport and Expeditions to ensure communications are of the highest order.
- communicate on a regular basis to students, parents and staff issues related to safeguarding.
- keep parents fully informed of activities, selections, programmes and events on a long term and short-term basis.
- assist the Enrichment department to answer parental enquiries that may arise after try-outs and/or during the year.
- present at the Sports Awards Evening.
- contribute articles to school and other publications.
Policy and Planning – Sport-Managers will:
- plan the year’s calendar for their specific sport.
- recommend developments in the school’s curriculum programme, writing the relevant instructional units in collaboration with the Department Leads of PE.
- ensure the smooth running of all school competitions specific to your sport.
Resources – Sport-Managers will:
- advise the Department Leader of Enrichment Sport and Expeditions in regard to fixed assets and facilities development.
- ensure resources are used effectively and appropriately stored.
Admissions – Sport-Managers will:
- ensure that new students are properly assessed and introduced to their sport specific programme at an appropriate level;
- ensure that all Enrichment coaches are aware of relevant medical conditions of new students.
Health and Safety – Sport-Managers will:
- ensure that all personnel are aware of the school’s child safeguarding policy, the code of conduct and the methods for reporting a concern;
- In liaison with the Department Leader of Enrichment Sport and Expeditions ensure that all members of staff associated with your sport activities are suitably qualified in terms of first aid or other health and safety issues;
- assist the Department Leader of Enrichment Sport and Expeditions in monitoring health and safety matters.
Qualifications / experience
- Bachelor’s degree
- Sport Specific Coaching Awards
- Teaching qualification
- Coached for at least two years since qualifying.
- Experience working in a multicultural environment.
- Experience working with a variety of age groups.
- Commitment to the BSB Guiding Statements
- Committed to achieving the best at all times for BSB students
- Belief that in learning and in life more is achieved together than alone
- Committed to the safety and wellbeing of BSB students.
In return, we offer:
- A full-time, permanent contract
- Enthusiastic, happy and confident children who are proud of their school and love learning
- Outstanding facilities and resources
- Excellent professional learning opportunities
- An attractive salary – BSB Learning & Teaching scale – Band 4 representing a minimum of € 57.519 and maximum € 104.398 gross per year, depending on the years of relevant experience
- Interesting extra-legal benefits including hospitalisation insurance, extra pension payments, luncheon vouchers, free use of the BSB sport facilities and a relocation package.
The deadline for applications is Monday 31 July 2023 at 16:00 (CET). Please note that only applications sent in using the application form on the BSB website will be considered. No other submissions will be accepted.
Short listed candidates will be invited to interview at the school the week of 21 August and this process will include a sample lesson and opportunities to meet potential colleagues.
We look forward to receiving your application. If you have not heard anything further from us by 31 August, please assume you have been unsuccessful on this occasion.
“The British School of Brussels is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.” (with reference to the most recent KCSIE)
BSB is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We respect and seek to empower each individual and support the diverse cultures, perspectives, skills and experiences within our community.
Enter your contact details below. Categories followed by * are mandatory in order to apply.
Attach any additional documents. Please ensure that your total document file size is under 10MB to ensure that your application is successfully received. Click the ‘Submit application’ button.
Please make sure to use an up to date, modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge or you may encounter technical issues with the above form.